Physical Therapy Careers
The Physical Therapy Department at Rady Children's has approximately 30 therapists, including a physical therapy assistant. Our staff members have varying amounts of experience, ranging from new graduates to therapists who have practiced for over 30 years. Because we are the only pediatric hospital in San Diego County, we see a tremendous variety of diagnoses. Some of the other benefits of working with us include:
- Variety of practice settings: Therapists in the inpatient setting see patients in all areas of the Hospital, including NICU, PICU, Med/Surg, Hem/Onc, Ortho and Rehab. Our outpatient therapists may be located at the Hospital or one of our three satellite locations in Solana Beach, Oceanside or Escondido. Outpatient therapists see infants and children with developmental concerns as well as adolescents with orthopedic issues. We provide individual and group treatments, and provide home care for children who are too ill to come to our facilities.
- Opportunity to participate in clinics: Our therapists participate with other healthcare providers in Spinal Defects Clinic, Rheumatology Clinic, Muscle Disease Clinic, Hemophilia and Thrombocytopenia Clinics, Motor Milestones Clinic, Pain Clinic, Rehabilitation Clinic, and Down Syndrome Clinic.
- Incentives: Therapists have an opportunity to earn a monthly incentive bonus based on productivity performance.
- Continuing education: We bring six nationally known presenters to our facility for continuing education each year and arrange for our staff to attend without cost or at a reduced rate. We provide on in-house training day for all staff per year and have a Hospital-supported continuing education program.
- Flexible hours and schedules: We offer a variety of schedules to meet the needs of our patients and therapists including full-time, part time and per diem. Most of our staff work eight, nine or 10 hour days, but alternate schedules may be considered.
- Opportunity to supervise students: We work with physical therapy schools across the country to provide training in pediatric physical therapy for students in their final internships.
- Collegial atmosphere: We are a teaching hospital and our staff is committed to ongoing learning. We provide a team environment where all therapists routinely turn to each other for assistance with challenging patients and sharing of new skills.
Video: Physical Therapists