Prep time: 40 minutes
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ½ c. corn (fresh, canned, or frozen if it’s taken out of the freezer ahead of time and soft)
- oven (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
- large bowl
- mixing spoon
- square baking pan (8″ x 8″) coated with nonstick cooking spray
- knife (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cups and spoons
- Preheat oven to 400º F (200º C).
- Put all the ingredients, except for the corn, into a large bowl.
- Beat the ingredients together with a big wooden spoon. The mixture should be smooth.
- Stir in the corn and mix.
- Pour the mixture into baking pan coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake in the oven for 25 or 30 minutes or until the cornbread is light brown on top.
- Remove bread from the oven, cut it into 9 pieces with a knife, and serve it warm for a lip-smacking treat.
Serving size: 1 piece
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
5 g protein
7 g fat
30 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
48 mg cholesterol
376 mg sodium
77 mg calcium
1.5 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N