Imagine an itch so intense you have to wear mittens to keep from scratching and hurting yourself. Think about a baby born with a disfiguring birthmark and the emotional toll that takes on the parent. Picture yourself in a doctor’s office and learning that your child has a life-threatening tumor.
Here at the Division of Pediatric and Adolescent Dermatology of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego, these are the children and families we care for. Our patients have a wide range of dermatological conditions, including eczema and other inflammatory skin disorders, severe and deforming birthmarks, disfiguring scars, and skin cancer.
Through providing the latest medical and surgical therapies, using state-of-the-art technology, and conducting research on the most promising therapies, we strive to help our young patients put their best face forward.
- Has been instrumental in developing the first detailed, evidence-based clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric acne.
- Named a Sturge-Weber Foundation Center of Excellence.
- Established the first comprehensive Eczema and Inflammatory Skin Disease Center for treating eczematous dermatitis, psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Launched the Vascular Lesion and Birthmark Center to treat deforming skin lesions, including hemangiomas, using advanced technology and cutting-edge treatments.
- Conducts more clinical trials than any pediatric dermatology program in the country.
- Trains the best and brightest dermatology specialists through our fellowship programs.
- Received the American Academy of Dermatology Gold Triangle Award for excellence in public health education.
In the News
- Pediatric Trials for Atopic Dermatitis Systemic Treatments, Dermatology Times, features Lawrence Einchenfield, M.D.
- Skin Lighteners Cause Painful, Burning Skin, HEALIO Medical Annals, features Andrew Krakowski, M.D.
- FDA Advisory Committee: Severe Need for Pediatric Studies in AD, Infectious Diseases in Children, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- What Are No-see-ums? Boys’ Life, features Andrew Krakowski, M.D.
- FDA Committee Agrees on Need for Pediatric Studies on Atopic Dermatitis, Healio, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- MRSA, Tropical Infections Rising, Dermatology Times, features Sheila Friedlander, M.D.
- Kids are Getting Acne Younger than Ever, Doctors Say, USA Today, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.