Gender Management Clinic
The Gender Management (GeM) Clinic, under the direction of Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and Ron Newfield, M.D., treats children and adolescents with gender dysphoria and related issues. We strongly believe that these children deserve to have a medical home at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.
Gender dysphoria is a medical condition in which the child’s biological gender and gender identity do not match. This often creates deep emotional distress for both the child and his or her family. Children with the condition are also frequently discriminated against and do not get support and understanding from peers, friends and families. Finding care providers that are knowledgeable and familiar with the treatment can be challenging as well.
At our clinic, we provide comprehensive and compassionate care, collaborating with local therapists who are experienced in treating the condition. We treat gender dysphoria based on the current guidelines, blocking puberty early on. Cross-sex hormone therapy is considered when a child is older — around 16 years of age.
The GeM Clinic is held every third Wednesday of the month.
To make an appointment, please contact Claudia Juarez at 858-966-4032.
In the News
- A Transgender Teen’s Journey, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Clinic Helps San Diego Transgender Youth, KPBS.org, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D. and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- Rady Children’s Clinic Offers Help, Hope for Transgender Teens, San Diego Union-Tribune, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- More Children Seek Help for Gender Dysphoria, WebMD, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Working to Improve Care for Transgender Youth, hcplive.com, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- Depression in Transgender Youth Eases with Recognition, Treatment, PsychCentral.com, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Team Finds High Need for Treatment of Transgender Youth, Medical Xpress, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.