Clinical Social Worker Services
Managing the needs of a child with a chronic or life-threatening illness is challenging, and at times, overwhelming. Our clinical social workers offer the following services to help parents and families through this difficult time:
- Provide individual/family counseling to help the patient and family members cope with the diagnosis and ongoing medical treatment throughout the course of the illness, including end-of-life care and bereavement support.
- Coordinate family/medical conferences as requested by the family or medical team.
- Facilitate communication within the family and with the interdisciplinary team and community agencies.
- Provide information, education and referrals specific to the child’s diagnosis and family’s needs.
- Advocate for the child and his or her family.
The clinical social workers provide inpatient and outpatient coverage, and are active participants in the following clinics: Hematology/Oncology, Neuro-Oncology, Sickle Cell Disease, Hemophilia, Long-Term Follow-Up, and Pain Clinics. The clinical social workers also offer specialty programs such as a support group for Spanish-speaking families, as well as event coordination for sickle cell disease patients and the Palliative/Supportive Care Program.
- Peckham Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders
Acute Care Pavilion, 2nd Floor
3010 Children's Way
San Diego, CA 92123
Phone: 858-966-5811 or 800-788-9029
- Click here for all locations.