Rady Children's Cardiovascular/Cardiothoracic Division performs about 500 surgeries a year, exclusively for the treatment of congenital heart defects.
For the third consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks our Heart Surgery program among the nation's best in its "Best Children's Hospitals" edition.
Complemented by leading programs in pediatric electrophysiology, interventional cardiology, prenatal/pediatric cardiac diagnostics and affiliated high-risk obstetrics, the Division provides an integrated approach to the treatment of the full spectrum of complex congenital heart problems in newborns to adults.
Our highly skilled surgeons use advanced surgical strategies and techniques – including hybrid procedures – to achieve optimal outcomes and to make the surgery as safe as possible. Areas of special concentration include:
- The surgical treatment of complex newborn heart defects, such as hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Complex reconstructive surgery in previously operated on children or adults
- Integration of catheter-based therapies with surgery to reduce risk
- Integration of advanced electrophysiologic testing, arrhythmia ablation and surgery
- Minimally invasive and cosmetic approaches to open heart surgery, where appropriate
- Heart transplant surgery (starting in 2014)
Rady Children's also has a new, state-of-the-art Acute Cardiac Unit. The unit brings a new level of care for cardiac and cardiovascular surgery patients requiring specialized services. Read the news release.
Along with providing expert surgical care, we participte in evidence-based research through Rady Children's Heart Institute. Through this research, we seek to advance the field of pediatric cardiovascular surgery.
- Is the primary cardiovascular surgery referral program for the state of Hawaii.
- Is a high-volume program with surgical outcomes among the best in the nation.
- Participates in multiple clinical and basic research projects designed to evaluate and treat complex forms of congenital heart disease.
The Hughes twins were born with different versions of the same heart defect. Read about their life-changing surgeries.
- Division of Cardiovascular Surgery
3030 Children's Way, Suite 202
San Diego, CA 92123
- Phone: 858-966-8030
- Request an appointment in MyChart.