All meetings are monthly unless noted otherwise.
- PEM Division Meeting: This monthly meeting of all attending physicians, intermediate care physicians, nursing leadership, and fellows addresses administrative, financial, and operational issues pertaining to the division of emergency medicine at RCHSD.
- EM Research Conference: This conference is devoted to the presentation of proposed research projects, updates on ongoing projects, and research being done in our department by other specialists. The fellow assigned to this conference will be responsible for a formal presentation of his/her research. Additionally, there will be didactic presentations during this conference focusing on research-related topics.
- EM Morbidity and Mortality Conference/Quality Improvement Conference: This monthly conference is devoted to reviewing cases with unexpected outcomes, possible diagnostic or management errors as identified by our staff or other specialties, and all deaths. It is attended by the RCHSD EM faculty, the ED nurse managers, and several other subspecialists. The PEM resident is assigned to review cases along with other faculty. The quality improvement component of this conference is devoted to improving care in the ED; recently the QI focus has been on generating ED-specific patient care pathways.
- EM / Radiology Case Conference: A log of interesting cases is kept in the ED, and fellows and attendings are encouraged to note interesting radiologic cases. Each month these cases are reviewed by the emergency physicians and the pediatric radiology attending staff and residents. When a fellow is assigned to lead this conference, the fellow will be expected to be familiar with the ED presentation of each patient as well as the follow-up course of these patients.
- EM / Chadwick Center for Children Case Review (bimonthly): Every child abuse case that presents to the ED is reviewed by with the PEM faculty and fellows with faculty representatives from the Chadwick Center for Children and Families.
- Faculty Development Series (bimonthly): During this conference, experts from within the division and the School of Medicine will present faculty development topics to both the faculty and fellows.
- Mock Code: The PEM fellow will be responsible for running a mock code for the rotating residents and medical students.
- PEM Attending Seminar Series: A pediatric emergency medicine faculty member will lead an interactive session with the fellows, emphasizing hands-on education and case-based discussions.
- Fellows Case Conference: The PEM fellow assigned to this conference will present an interesting patient and review of the recent literature.
- Subspecialty Conference: Pediatric subspecialists will present topics pertinent to pediatric emergency physicians at this conference.
- Critical Analysis Conference: Using the JAMA User’s Guide to the Medical Literature series, the fellow will learn how to interpret the medical literature and apply these skills to PEM articles.
- Trauma Morbidity and Mortality Conference: This multi-disciplinary conference reviews the trauma care given through the Emergency Department and hospital. All subspecialists that provide trauma care participate in this conference. Representatives from trauma surgery, anesthesiology, critical care, neurosurgery, orthopedics, urology, radiology, child protection, emergency medicine, and the medical examiner’s office attend this conference.
- Core Curriculum Review: The fellows and faculty will use the Textbook of Pediatric Emergency Medicine and the Pediatric Emergency Medicine Question Book Review Book to systematically review the entire pediatric emergency medicine core curriculum in two years.
- Fellowship Program Meeting: This monthly meeting is a forum where the fellowship director, program coordinator, and fellows discuss various programmatic issues regarding the fellowship.
- Pediatric Post-doctoral Fellows Conference: This biweekly conference is an opportunity for all of the pediatric subspecialty fellows at UCSD/RCHSD to meet, discuss research and other topics pertinent to all fellows, and to present their research to their peers.
- PEM Simulation Session: These quarterly sessions will occur at the UCSD Simulation Center, using high-fidelity simulators.
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship
Rady Children's Hospital-San Diego
3020 Children's Way, MC 5075
San Diego, CA 92123
- Program Coordinator: Teresa Yang