Behavioral Screening, Assessment, and Treatment
HDS behavioral services are offered within a variety of settings to assist parents, providers and other caregivers in addressing typical behavior concerns (potty training, tantrums, sibling rivalry, etc.) as well as child behavioral patterns that may negatively impact a child’s home and/or learning environment.
Behavior Classes and Individual Consultations
C3 behavior specialists facilitate parent-only classes to encourage further understanding of children’s behavior in the context of their development, how to best help their child communicate his or her emotions, how a child’s temperament affects their behavior, and how to help their child build a positive relationship with peers. Parents also have the opportunity to identify specific behaviors that are concerning to them and develop strategies to improve these behaviors.
Behavior specialists are also available for individual behavioral consultations to discuss potty training, sleeping, picky eating or other behavioral concerns.
Behavioral Health Services in Childcare or Preschool Settings
Our HDS behavioral health specialists work collaboratively with a child’s parent(s) and childcare or preschool setting to provide behavioral assessments, consultation, training, and support. In North Central & North Coastal regions, this service is provided by YMCA-CRS.
Behavioral health services may be needed when:
- There are behavior concerns in child care setting such as aggression, defiance, difficulty changing activities, tantrums, hitting, kicking, biting, or separation anxiety.
- A child is being sent home frequently and/or is at risk of being expelled from child care due to behavior concerns.
- A provider or parent has concerns about a child’s ability to interact with other children.
- A provider would like support with behavior management for the overall classroom.
Behavioral health services may include:
- Child care and home observations
- Assessment tools designed to identify causes of challenging behaviors in the classroom and at home.
- A plan of action is developed in conjunction with the parent and provider with recommendations from a Behavior Health Specialist. Both the childcare setting provider(s) and parent(s) participate to increase communication and consistency with implementation of the behavior plan and goals.
- One-on-one coaching sessions to model appropriate behaviors in the classroom and at home and encourage consistency with the behavior plan across both environments.
Behavior Workshops for Childcare Providers
Behavior workshops for providers on topics relevant to childcare and preschool providers are available in English and Spanish and offered throughout the year at no cost.
Behavior therapy with licensed or license-eligible mental health clinicians is also available at no cost through Healthy Development Services. The clinician, child and parent meet on a weekly basis for approximately 26 sessions, depending on the presenting needs and treatment progress.
The type of treatment offered will be determined after an initial intake appointment and assessment has been conducted. Healthy Development Services offers the following treatment modalities:
- Parent-Child Attunement Therapy
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy
- Developmentally appropriate behavioral play therapy
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Child-Parent Psychotherapy
In North Central and North Coastal regions, behavior therapy is offered by Home Start, Inc. and the Chadwick Center for Children and Families at Rady Children’s.
- Healthy Development Services are offered throughout San Diego County.
- Click here for locations and phone numbers.