Rady Children's Heart Institute, an institute without walls, was created to integrate and coordinate the research and educational programs of the Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery Divisions at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego. Our goal is to provide optimal care for infants, children and adults born with congenital heart defects and to advance our knowledge and understanding of congenital heart disease.
For the third consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks our Cardiology & Heart Surgery programs among the nation's best in its "Best Children's Hospitals" edition.
The Heart Institute serves San Diego’s pediatric population of more than 2.8 million children and is a major referral center for Imperial, Riverside and Orange counties, as well as Hawaii, New Mexico, Mexico and the Pacific Rim islands. Outpatient services are provided at Rady Children's and satellite locations in El Centro, Encinitas, Escondido, Murrieta and Oceanside. (Click here for maps and directions.) In addition, we regularly teleconference with our colleagues in Hawaii.
Research, in affiliation with the University of California, San Diego, is a major focus of our Institute. Through clinical trials, outcomes analysis and the continuous evaluation of our clinical pathways, we strive to discover the most promising treatments, and ultimately, to find cures.
Heart Institute Achievements:
- Has ongoing clinical trials to advance the understanding and application of pharmacological interventions, surgical devices and catheter-delivered interventions in the treatment of children and adults with congenital heart defects.
- Collects and analyzes clinical data and outcomes with the assistance of an international clinical outcomes database (CardioAccess).
- Was selected to participate in the Congenital Heart Surgeons Society's ongoing, multi-institutional study of outcomes and practices.
- Continues to refine clinical pathways to optimize efficacy and decrease the length-of-stay for patients undergoing heart surgery and catheter interventions.
Video: Drs. John Moore, James Perry and John Lamberti on the Heart Institute's latest research and accomplishments
- For more information about Rady Children’s Heart Institute, call 1-800-HEART-18.