The Division of Infectious Diseases specializes in the diagnosis, management and prevention of serious, complicated or unusual infections in children. Expert care is provided by the infectious disease specialists of Rady Children's Specialists of San Diego.
The Division is also an integral part of the teaching program for the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, training the best and brightest medical students, pediatric residents and pediatric infectious diseases fellows.
Our services include:
- Inpatient and outpatient consultation
- Specialized laboratory testing and interpretation of results
- Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT) Clinic
Outpatient clinics are held twice weekly for new patient evaluations and follow-up visits of children previously seen at the Hospital or clinic. Physicians wishing to refer children with urgent or problematic infections may do so any day of the week.
The Division is a leader in basic science and clinical research, with a focus on new antibiotics, antifungal and antiviral therapy, and investigational treatment with immune modulators.
- John Bradley, M.D., Division Chief, recently led a working group of leading health care professionals to develop the first-ever national guidelines on the management of pneumonia in infants and children. He also recently participated in an Institute of Medicine workshop on ways to improve diagnosis, treatment and immunization of children against bioterror agents and emerging threats
- John Leake, M.D., M.P.H., has received several prestigious grants, including an International Pilot grant from the Center for Aids Research (CFAR) at UC San Diego and a National Institutes of Health grant to study genetic susceptibility to tropical infectious diseases. He has also been appointed to serve on CFAR’s Advisory Board of the International Core.
Thanks to lifesaving drug, Kaitlyn survived a severe flu. Read her incredible story.
- Division of Infectious Diseases
8110 Birmingham Way (Bldg. 28), 1st Floor
San Diego, CA 92123
- Phone: 858-966-7785
- Mailing Address:Division of Infectious Diseases
3020 Children’s Way, Mail Code 5041
San Diego, CA 92123