The Orthopedic and Scoliosis Center focuses on the unique musculoskeletal needs of growing children and adolescents. Our renowned orthopedic surgeons (of Rady Children's Specialists of San Diego) provide the highest quality care, treating the full range of orthopedic disorders and conditions, including traumatic injuries.
For the fifth consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks our Orthopedics program among the nation's best in its "Best Children's Hospitals" edition.
At our state-of-the-art facility, all orthopedic and rehabilitation medicine services are in one central location, under one roof: the 20,000-square-foot space houses 34 exam rooms, two cast rooms, kid-friendly X-ray suites, the EOS ultra-low-dose orthopedic imaging system, a rehabilitation assessment room and a spacious reception area.
As part of our full range of orthopedic services, we offer the following specialty programs and clinics:
- The Spine Center
- 360 Sports Medicine (located at 7910 Frost Street)
- The International Center for Hip Disorders
- The Cerebral Palsy Center
- Trauma Clinic
- Hand Clinic
- Club Foot Clinic
- Brachial Plexus Clinic (multidisciplinary)
- Limb Deficiency Clinic (multidisciplinary)
- Muscle Disease Clinic (multidisciplinary, located in the Rose Pavilion)
- Spine Defects Clinic (multidisciplinary)
- Back Pain Clinic
- Lower Extremity Alignment Clinic
- Toenail Clinic
Along with providing comprehensive services, our division is a leader in innovative and cutting-edge research. Clinical studies are conducted on site at the Motion Analysis Laboratory. And research investigating common congenital deformities of the spine and complex joints -- while exploring novel methods of fracture fixation and surgical correction -- occurs at the Orthopedic Biomechanics Research Center.
- First in the nation to implant magnetic growing rods in scoliosis patients. Read the news release and story in U-T San Diego.
- First pediatric program/hospital in the nation to install a groundbreaking orthopedic imaging system. Learn about the EOS.
- Has more orthopedic specialists than any other pediatric orthopedics program in California.
- Has published extensively in leading pediatric orthopedics journals.
- Trains the best and brightest physicians through our Pediatric Orthopedics and Scoliosis Fellowship.
In the News
- Study on stairway falls and childhood fractures, Journal of Children's Orthopaedics
- "San Diego Tries New Scoliosis Treatment on 2 Boys," U-T San Diego
- Dr. Peter Newton featured in Wall Street Journal article on scoliosis.