The Spine Center is nationally recognized for its patient care, education and research capabilities in the field of scoliosis, kyphosis, spondylolisthesis and other spine conditions. Recently, we launched the Early Onset Scoliosis Clinic.
Our team is committed to providing the most advanced treatment options available. Treatments include:
- Observation – In many cases, a child’s spinal deformity may require only close monitoring during skeletal growth. The Spine Center has many methods to non-invasively monitor and assess spinal deformities, including: routine radiographs, 3-dimensional CT scanning and MRI.
- Physical Therapy – Rady Children’s Physical Therapy Department works closely with the Spine Center to provide exercise programs and other physical therapy modalities to address pain and muscular imbalance associated with spinal conditions with the goal of maximizing physical function.
- Bracing – Spinal bracing may be an important component of many spinal conditions, and the latest technology is available. This includes computer- assisted methods of brace design, as well as newer techniques of bracing, which allow greater movement and flexibility of the trunk within the brace.
- Surgery – The orthopedic surgeons of the Spine Center use the most advanced anterior and posterior surgical methods for the correction of spinal deformities. They are pioneers in minimally invasive methods of scoliosis and kyphosis treatment, an advance that has reduced the pain and recovery time of surgery.
- Research – The Spine Center is involved in several research trials with the goals of improving treatment methods for scoliosis and other spinal conditions, as well as to determine the etiology of scoliosis.
The physicians of the Spine Center also provide care for children with a variety of neuromuscular conditions, which are frequently associated with spinal deformity, including cerebral palsy, spina bifida, muscular dystrophy and others.
Peter Newton, M.D., discusses scoliosis screening and EOS X-ray technology.
- Orthopedic and Scoliosis Center
3030 Children's Way, Third Floor
San Diego, CA 92123
- Phone: 858-966-6789
- Click here for all locations.