The Palliative Care Program at Rady Children's Hospital-San Diego strives to enhance the quality of life and reduce the suffering of children and teens with a life-limiting illness. The program, under the direction of Ami Doshi, M.D., provides a comprehensive approach to care, focusing on the physical, psychological, social, emotional and spiritual needs of our young patients and their families.
Palliative care ideally begins at the time of diagnosis of a life-threatening, incurable or debilitating condition, and continues throughout the child’s life. Throughout the care process – and bereavement – we provide support for the entire family.
Care is provided by the Pediatric Advanced Care Team (P.A.C.T.), a multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, social workers, psychologists, chaplains, child-life specialists, nutritionists, acupuncturists and massage therapists. These team members closely collaborate to ensure continuity of care during the child’s time at the hospital and while receiving home care. Additionally, the team makes referrals to agencies that can provide skilled nursing care, medication and nutrition support, and equipment including special beds, toilets, chairs, wheelchairs and bathing-assistance devices.
We are committed to working closely with patients and their families to provide the following services:
- Care focusing on quality of life, including pain and symptom management
- End-of-life care if necessary
- Holistic care, including ancillary services
- Child and family support during the care process
- Child and family education
- Spiritual, religious and cultural support
- Information and referrals for appropriate health care services or community resources
- Psychosocial support and intervention to help the child and family members
- Bereavement support through our Hope Bereavement Support Program
We promise to:
- Listen to you, your child, their siblings and other family members.
- Be open and honest with you.
- Help your child live life to the fullest.
- Support you through the challenges and transitions on this journey.
- Palliative Care Program
Ami Doshi, M.D., F.A.A.P, Medical Director
- Phone: 858-966-5841