Transforming Mental Health: Provider Toolkit
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego, in conjunction with Children’s Primary Care Medical Group and Children’s Physicians Medical Group, has partnered with the pediatric primary care providers in our provider network to create a new Primary Care Behavioral Health Integration model based in the primary care setting to care for the whole child.
The program is working to improve the emotional well-being of children and adolescents through conducting early identification screenings, increasing access to behavioral health care, implementing prevention programs and providing evidence-based treatment. This is accomplished through prioritizing the integration of an embedded mental health therapist in a pediatric primary care office. Below you will find resources to help with implementation.
The diagram above displays how Primary Care Behavioral Health Integration can work in your practice. Look through the virtual exhibit booth below for resources that demonstrate the value of integrating behavioral health into your pediatric practice, as well as useful tips, provider and patient resources and toolkits to help you explore managing behavioral health. Featured on this page are presentations by pediatricians and other experts speaking on their experience with this integrated care approach – click on the links below to dive deeper.
Why should you integrate mental and behavioral health into your practice? Explore the links below to learn how including mental and behavioral care in the primary care setting can lead to better outcomes.
- Importance of Mental Health Integration
- Introduction to Primary Care and Behavioral Health Integration: Video; by Domonique Hensler, MHA, Director of Care Redesign Planning, and Benjamin Maxwell, MD, Medical Director of Inpatient Psychiatry and Interim Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego
- Behavioral & Mental Health in Primary Care Pediatrics: What Is Our Why? Presentation | Presentation | Video; by: Hilary M. Bowers, MD, FAAP, Director of Behavioral and Mental Health Services, Children’s Primary Care Medical Group
- Integrating Primary Care and Behavioral Health: Let’s Boldly Go! Presentation | Video; by Jeffrey Leichter PhD, LP; Licensed Psychologist and Lead Administrator of Behavioral Health Integration, Enterprise Clinic Services at Sanford Health
- Mental Health Integration: From Process to Practice: Presentation | Video; by Travis Mickelson, MD, Medical Director of Mental Health Integration at Intermountain Health Care, and Roland Dimick, MD, Pediatrician at Memorial Clinic
How do you incorporate mental and behavioral health into primary care? Use the resources below as guidelines to implement an integrated care model at your practice.
- How to Implement an Integrated Model
- Checklist for Implementation Readiness
- Comparison Between Care Model Types
Rady Children’s has created a care model that joins mental and behavioral health and primary care through the use of integrated health therapists (IHTs) and behavioral health hubs. Click on the links below to discover how the Primary Care Behavioral Health Integration model works at Rady Children’s.
- Primary Care and Behavioral Health Integration Flyer
- The Children’s Primary Care Medical Group, Children’s Physicians Medical Group and Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego Primary Care and Behavioral Health Integrated Care Model
- Introduction to Integration Starter Packet
These PDFs contain resources and handouts for pediatricians, families and youth that you may find helpful to incorporate behavioral health in your practice.
For more information, email TMHTeam@rchsd.org.