Bernardy Center Selected from 16,000 Facilities Nationwide
San Diego – July 21, 2014 – For the sixth year in a row, U.S. News & World Report ranked the Helen Bernardy Center for Medically Fragile Children at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego as one of the best nursing homes in the nation.
“We are proud to be ranked among the nation’s best for the sixth consecutive year,” said Pamela Dixon, the director of the Bernardy Center. “It speaks to the excellent care that our highly skilled interdisciplinary team of caregivers gives to each of our residents every day.”
The Bernardy Center team includes:
- Registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses, licensed respiratory therapists and certified nursing assistants who provide 24-hour nursing care.
- Occupational and physical therapists who assure the children are able to participate in their environment and remain strong and healthy through individualized exercise programs.
- The recreation team who assures the children have fun outside the facility, as well as on the Rady Children’s campus.
- A dietician who monitors and maintains nutrition needs so the children stay strong enough to participate in activities.
- Attending physicians who monitor all residents regularly, at which time the resident’s treatment plan and any specialist recommendations are reviewed.
- A social worker and program manager who pull all these components into a comprehensive plan of care and work closely with the families on their goals to take their children home for a day or for the rest of their lives.
The Best Nursing Homes 2014 ratings highlight the top nursing homes in each city and state, out of nearly 16,000 facilities nationwide. Best Nursing Homes draws on data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, a federal agency that assesses homes in three categories: health inspections, level of nurse staffing and quality of care. The Best Nursing Homes also gives each facility an overall rating. U.S. News awarded the “Best Nursing Home” designation to homes that earned an overall rating of five stars from CMS in January 2014. More information is available at: http://health.usnews.com/best-nursing-homes.
ABOUT RADY CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL-SAN DIEGO
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego is a 520-bed pediatric care facility providing the largest source of comprehensive pediatric medical services in San Diego, Southern Riverside and Imperial counties. Rady Children’s is the only hospital in the San Diego area dedicated exclusively to pediatric healthcare and is the region’s only designated pediatric trauma center. In June 2014, U.S. News & World Report ranked Rady Children’s among the best children’s hospitals in the nation in all 10 pediatric specialties the magazine surveyed. For more information, visit www.rchsd.org.
Media Contact: Carlos Delgado