Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids and teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This protein-packed side dish is perfect for a holiday barbecue.
Prep time: 2 hours, 20 minutes (including cooking time)
- ¼ cup onion, chopped fine
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ tsp. dry mustard powder
- ¼ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices cooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16-ounce can of pork and beans
- In a 1½-quart baking dish, combine all ingredients. Do not drain beans.
- Bake uncovered at 325ºF (162ºC) for 2 hours.
Serving size: ¾ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
22 g fat
10 g protein
896 mg sodium
69 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Rupal Christine Gupta, MD