Black Beans and Rice
Note: This recipe is suitable for a vegetarian (meat-free) diet, but may include ingredients such as dairy or other animal-based products that wouldn’t fit in with vegan or some vegetarian diets.
This is a scrumptious and easy recipe. If you have leftovers, consider serving the beans on a salad the next day.
Prep time: 30 to 40 minutes
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- 14-oz. can diced tomatoes (low sodium)
- ½ c. frozen corn niblets, thawed
- 1 c. hot cooked rice
- ¼ c. jalapeño jack cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Sauté ¾ cup onions, garlic, and bay leaves in oil.
- Add black beans, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and corn.
- Simmer until heated through and flavors meld.
- Make a mold of cooked rice on a platter.
- Pour bean mixture over the rice.
- Garnish with ¼ cup chopped onions.
- Sprinkle cheese over the beans.
Serving size: ¼ cup rice and 1¼ cup beans
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
15 g protein
3 g fat
2 g sat. fat
55 g carbohydrate
12 g fiber
8 mg cholesterol
765 mg sodium
157 mg calcium
3.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you do not have canned tomatoes, try using salsa. Add sliced red peppers.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N