Note: This recipe is especially for kids on a gluten-free diet, who must avoid foods that contain gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
Prep time: 80 minutes
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups grated raw potatoes
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces ground turkey sausage, cooked
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- oven (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring spoons and cups
- pie pan
- mixing bowls
- knife (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
- fork or whisk
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (218ºC).
- Coat pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix potatoes, chopped onion, and olive oil.
- Press potato mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Spread cooked sausage evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle cheeses evenly over the sausage.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, and spices.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the cheeses.
- Lower oven temperature to 350ºF (176ºC). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the center is set and knife inserted comes out clean.
Serving size: 1/6 of casserole
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
12 g fat
5 g sat. fat
29 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
175 mg cholesterol
386 mg sodium
143 mg calcium
1.9 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you don’t like sausage, use cooked ham. Instead of grating the potatoes yourself, you can use frozen hash browns that you know are not coated with wheat flour.
Reviewed by: Rupal Christine Gupta, MD
Date reviewed: July 2015