Crispy Zucchini Cake Sandwiches
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 10-20 minutes
Recipe makes: 6 sandwiches (6 servings)
- 2 large zucchini
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced bell peppers (half red, half green)
- 1 cup chopped, packed fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons lite mayonnaise
- Salt substitute and pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 6 whole-grain rolls
Equipment and supplies:
- Grater for shredding zucchini
- Knife and cutting board for chopping
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Large and small mixing bowls
- Large skillet for frying
- Cooking spray
- Wash the zucchini. With the peel on, shred the zucchini using a grater into a large bowl. If the zucchini are very watery, you can wrap them in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and squeeze out the juice.
- Add the remaining vegetables into the bowl with the zucchini. Add the breadcrumbs and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg substitute and lite mayonnaise.
- Add the egg mixture to the zucchini mixture and toss together. Season with salt substitute, pepper, paprika, and lemon juice. Form the mixture into small patties.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray and place on the stove over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 5 to 10 minutes on each side until crisp.
- Serve hot on the whole-grain rolls or over salad with a small amount of your favorite lite salad dressing.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD, LDN