Crock-Pot Chicken Bolognese Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4-5 hours
Recipe makes: 4-6 servings
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 1 can (28 ozs.) unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c. unsalted tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. salt substitute
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 c. water
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 4-6 quart slow cooker
- Large pot for cooking pasta
- In the slow cooker, combine ground chicken, crushed tomatoes, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, tomato paste, bay leaves, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and water. Using a wooden spatula, break up the ground chicken and mix it into the sauce and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, about 4-5 hours.
- Cook your favorite whole-wheat pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain and serve ½ cup of cooked pasta topped with ½ cup of sauce.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD