Easy Cheesy Chicken Melt
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 8-oz. can white chicken, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp. chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices 100% whole-wheat bread
- 4 thin slices of a large tomato
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF (150ºC).
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the drained chicken, chopped onion, and mayonnaise.
- Place the chicken mixture on four slices of bread and top each of them with a slice of cheese.
- Toast, along with the other 4 slices of bread, in the oven until the cheese melts.
- To serve, place a tomato slice on top of each piece of cheese, and then top each with another piece of toast.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Protein helps build a baby’s muscles, bones, and other tissues, especially in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. The recommended protein intake during the second half of pregnancy and while breastfeeding is 71 grams daily. Healthy sources of protein include lean meat, poultry, fish, beans, peanut butter, eggs, and tofu.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD, LDN