Italian Vegetable Casserole
Note: This recipe is especially for teens with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
This is a quick and easy way to add a vegetable serving into your daily meal plan.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ c. fat-free Italian dressing
- 2 c. brown rice, cooked
- ¼ c. soy parmesan cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix vegetables and dressing together in the casserole dish.
- Cook vegetables in microwave for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the vegetables.
- Serve vegetables over rice.
Serving size: 1 cup vegetables and ½ cup rice
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g fat
0 g sat fat
7 g protein
31 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
278 mg sodium
117 mg calcium
1.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can also serve over this dish over pasta. If you would like more of a cheesy flavor, add soy mozzarella to the vegetables.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012