PB and J French Toast
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This twist on a traditional breakfast favorite is easy to make and a great way to start the day.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons jelly
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- plastic or butter knife
- mixing bowl
- whisk or fork
- stove (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
- Spread peanut butter on two slices of bread.
- Spread jelly on the other two slices of bread.
- Put one slice of each together to form sandwiches.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs and cream together.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture, coating well.
- Place in skillet and brown both sides.
- Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
22 g protein
51 g fat
500 mg sodium
126 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Rupal Christine Gupta, MD