Note: This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 oz. uncooked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 corn tortillas (gluten-free)
- 2 oz. jalapeño Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, half of the onion, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through and juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté remaining half of the onion and garlic in nonstick skillet for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix chicken with half of the salsa and set aside.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place tortilla on baking sheet.
- Spread chicken and salsa mixture on the tortilla.
- Spread cooked garlic and onions over chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over onion and garlic.
- Cover with another tortilla.
- Bake until quesadillas are warmed through and cheese is melted, approximately 10 minutes.
- Cut into four wedges and serve with remaining salsa.
Serving size: 2 wedges
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
20 g protein
10 g fat
6 g sat. fat
20 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
50 mg cholesterol
190 mg sodium
285 mg calcium
1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can top with gluten-free sour cream and/or gluten-free guacamole. If you’re pressed for time, try substituting with store-bought salsa (check the label to be sure it doesn’t contain gluten).
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012