Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes (add 45 minutes to 1 hour to cook rice if not previously prepared)
Recipe makes: 4 servings
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed, unsalted tomatoes
- 1 container (32 oz.) vegetable stock (or low-sodium chicken stock for a non-vegetarian version)
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¾ c. cooked brown rice
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife and cutting board
- Large cooking pot
- Cut zucchini into ¼-inch pieces. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Cook zucchini and onion just until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and stir. Pour in tomatoes and stock. Season with black pepper. Cook over medium heat until soup thickens slightly and veggies are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in brown rice. Serve.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD