Improving the long-term health of children and families is the goal of the City Heights Wellness Center, a partnership between Rady Children’s and Scripps Health. The 4,500-square-foot Center serves to enhance existing community services, including health promotion and disease prevention.
The heart of the Center is the teaching kitchen, which serves as a hub for community gatherings, classes and a fun and informative nutrition program that includes cooking demonstrations, food preparation, nutrition planning, safety education and tips for shopping economically for nutritious foods.
Wellness Center services/programs include:
- Nutrition education/cooking and meal planning
- Breastfeeding/nutrition support
- Monthly infant support group
- Ask a Nurse Program
- Positive parenting classes (English & Spanish)
- Diabetes prevention and disease management services
- Integrative Health Nights
- Exercise programs
Dance programs for children and adults
Tai Chi program for seniors
- Eligibility assistance: Eligibility workers are available to counsel people on eligibility and assist people in applying for Medi-Cal, Healthy Families, Cal Fresh and other related healthcare access assistance.
In the News
- City Heights Wellness Center Helps Many, The San Diego Union-Tribune,
- Hospital Cooking Classes Help High-Risk Communities, Hospitals & Health Networks