The Center for Gender-Affirming Care, under the direction of Program Director Bixby Marino-Kibbee, LCSW, and co-medical directors Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and David Inwards-Breland, M.D., treats children, adolescents and young adults with gender dysphoria and related health care needs. We strongly believe that all youth deserve to have a medical home at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.
Gender dysphoria is a medical condition in which there is deep emotional distress that occurs when one’s assigned gender at birth and gender identity do not match. Being transgender, nonbinary or gender non-conforming is not a mental health problem. However, some transgender individuals have co-existing conditions, such as anxiety or depression.
Transgender, nonbinary and gender non-conforming youth are frequently discriminated against and may not get support and understanding from peers, friends and family. Finding care providers that are knowledgeable and familiar with treatment options can also be challenging.
Our mission is to provide comprehensive, compassionate, evidence-based care and support to transgender and nonbinary youth and their families. We utilize a multidisciplinary, family systems approach, bringing together mental health professionals, endocrinology and adolescent medicine to provide comprehensive care. Learn about our services.
While our treatment of gender dysphoria is based on the current guidelines from the Endocrine Society (J Clin Endocrinol Metab– November, 2017 102(11):1-35) and World Professional Association of Transgender Health -WPATH (Int J Transgender, 13:165–232, 2011), care is always individualized to best meet the specific needs of each patient.
In the News
- Fundraising Campaign: Adam Lambert x the Center for Gender-Affirming Care, Feel Something Foundation
- San Diego Pride’s Virtual Spirit of Stonewall Rally Honors LGBTQ+ leader Bixby Marino-Kibbee, The San Diego Union Tribune, features Bixby Marino-Kibbee
- Raising LGBTQ Kids, cbsnews8, features Bixby Marino-Kibbee (video)
- A Transgender Teen’s Journey, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Clinic Helps San Diego Transgender Youth, KPBS.org, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D. and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- Rady Children’s Clinic Offers Help, Hope for Transgender Teens, San Diego Union-Tribune, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- More Children Seek Help for Gender Dysphoria, WebMD, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Working to Improve Care for Transgender Youth, hcplive.com, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- Depression in Transgender Youth Eases with Recognition, Treatment, PsychCentral.com, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Team Finds High Need for Treatment of Transgender Youth, Medical Xpress, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
Support Trans Youth
You can help ensure that transgender and gender diverse children and youth receive the care they deserve with your charitable contribution. Contact the Rady Children’s Hospital Foundation at 858-966-7878 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about philanthropic opportunities in the Center for Gender-Affirming Care.