We’re Moving! As of Oct. 1, 2019, the Center will be seeing patients at its new location: 8110 Birmingham Way, Building #28, 2nd Floor. (Map it)
The Center for Gender-Affirming Care, under the direction of Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and Bixby Marino-Kibbee, LCSW, treats children and adolescents with gender dysphoria and related issues. We strongly believe that these children deserve to have a medical home at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.
Gender dysphoria is a medical condition in which there is deep emotional distress; this results when one’s gender assigned at birth and gender identity do not match. Being transgender or gender non-conforming is not a mental health problem. However, some transgender individuals have co-existing conditions, such as anxiety or depression.
Gender diverse children are frequently discriminated against and may not get support and understanding from peers, friends and families. Finding care providers that are knowledgeable and familiar with the treatment can be challenging as well.
Our mission is to provide comprehensive, compassionate, up-to-date care and support to transgender and gender diverse youth and their families. We extensively collaborate with local therapists who are experienced in assessing and managing the condition. Learn about our services.
While our treatment of gender dysphoria is based on the current guidelines from the Endocrine Society (J Clin Endocrinol Metab– November, 2017 102(11):1-35) and World Professional Association of Transgender Health -WPATH (Int J Transgender, 13:165–232, 2011), care individualized to best meet the specific needs of each patient.
In the News
- A Transgender Teen’s Journey, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Clinic Helps San Diego Transgender Youth, KPBS.org, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D. and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- Rady Children’s Clinic Offers Help, Hope for Transgender Teens, San Diego Union-Tribune, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- More Children Seek Help for Gender Dysphoria, WebMD, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Working to Improve Care for Transgender Youth, hcplive.com, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D., and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- Depression in Transgender Youth Eases with Recognition, Treatment, PsychCentral.com, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Team Finds High Need for Treatment of Transgender Youth, Medical Xpress, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
Support Trans Youth
You can help ensure that transgender and gender diverse children and youth receive the care they deserve with your charitable contribution. Contact the Rady Children’s Hospital Foundation at 858-966-7878 or email email@example.com to learn about philanthropic opportunities in the Center for Gender-Affirming Care.