Rady Children’s Heart Transplant Center is ranked among the nation’s best. We have developed a program that can provide heart transplants for every patient with congenital heart disease, from infancy through adulthood. Here, your child will receive expert care from a highly skilled and experienced team, led by renowned heart transplant surgeon John J. Nigro, M.D.
Our excellent outcomes have made us a leading referral center for the entire region, which includes Southern California, parts of Arizona, Hawaii and the South Pacific. We also provide all levels of care.
Heart transplantation may be an option for your child if he or she has symptoms of heart failure from cardiomyopathy, congenital heart disease or life-threatening abnormal heart rhythms. Our Pediatric Heart Failure and Transplant Program will carefully and thoroughly evaluate your child to see if he or she is a suitable candidate for a transplant. If your child is deemed a suitable candidate, the process can begin of preparing your child for the procedure. Learn about the transplant.
Video: Meet Dr. John J. Nigro, transplant surgeon and Heart Institute director
In the News
- Gift That Marks the End of One Baby’s Life Saves Another, 10news.com, features John J. Nigro, M.D.
- Story About a Young Boy’s Heart Is Sure to Touch Yours, cbs8.com, features John J. Nigro, M.D., and Adriana Tremoulet, M.D.
- Baby Makes History With Heart Transplant, Fox 5 San Diego
- 2 Twins, 2 Hearts in Two Months, U-T San Diego
- Rady Site of Second Pediatric Heart Transplant, SD News
- Child Heart Transplant a San Diego First, U-T San Diego
- 11-Year-Old Heart Transplant Patient, 1st in San Diego, Goes Home, Times of San Diego
Rady Children’s Doctors Perform Hospital’s First Pediatric Heart Transplant, Transplant Families
- 11-Year-Old Boy Undergoes First SD Pediatric Heart Transplant, SD News