Canine Care Program
Rady Children’s Canine Care Program helps to ease patients’ anxiety, reducing the stress of hospitalization and illness.
Currently, we have 33 canine volunteers. Each dog is escorted through the Hospital by its handler/owner along with a volunteer escort. Visits usually last about five minutes and take place with the consent of the patient, parent/guardian and medical staff.
Along with decreasing stress, these visits:
- Provide warmth, comfort and a sense of familiarity.
- Offer “normal life” experiences.
- Provide distraction from pain, medical treatments and daily hospital routines.
- Encourage interaction and communication.
- Bring laughter and smiles.
Due to the overwhelming interest in our program and the very low attrition rate, we are not accepting applications to the Canine Care Program at this time.