Caring for Our Region’s Children
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego is the region’s pediatric medical center serving San Diego, Imperial and southern Riverside counties. We treat children from birth to 18 years old as well as a small number of adults with certain conditions for which we have specialized services.
- The largest children’s hospital in California (based on admissions).
- The only hospital in the San Diego area dedicated exclusively to pediatric healthcare.
- The region’s only designated
pediatric trauma center.
- Provider of care to 91 percent of the region’s children.
- Provider of care to 245,850 children.
Our outstanding team includes nearly 1,000 physicians and nearly 1,500 nurses on staff, more than 5,100 employees, about 500 active volunteers and more than 1,200 Auxiliary members.
Achieving National Recognition
We are nationally recognized for medical excellence:
- Ranked in all 10 pediatric specialties surveyed by U.S. News & World Report.
- Earned Magnet® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), recognized as the gold standard in nursing excellence.
- Named among the nation’s “Most Wired” healthcare organizations by the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME). Learn more.
The Rady Name
The Hospital and our new Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine carry the name of our most generous donor: Ernest Rady and the Rady family. We are grateful to the Rady family for their unwavering support throughout the years and for their lifelong commitment to helping kids.
Training the Best and Brightest
Rady Children’s, in partnership with UC San Diego School of Medicine, is also the region’s teaching hospital for the next generation of pediatric physicians. Each year, we train more than 550 residents, 240 medical students and 150 fellows.
Discovering Treatments and Cures
Rady Children’s is a major pediatric clinical research center, with more than 770 active research studies underway, including more than 170 active clinical trials. We collaborate with world-class institutions, including UC San Diego, the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute, The Scripps Research Institute, the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Further demonstrating our commitment to discovery is the establishment of the Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine. The Institute will assemble a team of world-class scientists, researchers and clinicians who will focus their talents on preventing, diagnosing, treating and curing childhood disease through genomics and systems medicine research.
Making Our Community Healthier
As a not-for-profit hospital, we take pride in our service to the community. Learn about our community services in the Community Benefit Report and about our community’s greatest health needs in the Community Health Needs Assessment.
- 2019 Community Benefit Report
- 2018 Community Benefit Report
- 2017 Community Benefit Report
- 2016 Community Benefit Report
- 2016 Community Health Needs Assessment (Summary)
- 2015 Community Benefit Report
- 2014 Community Benefit Report
- 2014 Community Health Needs Implementation Strategy
- 2013 Community Benefit Report
- 2013 Community Health Needs Assessment