Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Quiche
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids and teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This dish can be eaten for any meal of the day. And it freezes well!
Prep time: 1 hour
What you need:
- 9″ pie crust
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces broiled/pan-fried bacon, chopped
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (218ºC).
- Whisk eggs and cream in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
- Stir cheese into egg mixture.
- Sprinkle bacon over pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture over bacon.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325º F (162ºC) and bake for approximately 35 minutes longer. Quiche is finished cooking when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the quiche cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 577 calories
- 23g protein
- 48g fat
- 723mg sodium
- 209mg calcium
Serving size: 1/6 of pie
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can use a variety of different cheeses. Try adding some vegetables, such as onions or spinach.