The Helen Bernardy Center for Medically Fragile Children is a skilled nursing and subacute facility for children and adolescents with multiple medical, physical and developmental delays.
For the 10th year in a row, U.S. News & World Report ranks the Helen Bernardy Center for Medically Fragile Children as one of the best nursing homes in the nation. Once again, we received the top rating!
Video: Learn why the Bernardy Center ranks among the nation’s best
Registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses, licensed respiratory therapists and certified nursing assistants provide 24-hour nursing care to all residents. Attending physicians monitor all residents regularly, at which time the resident’s treatment plan and any specialist recommendations are reviewed. Bernardy Center staff members coordinate appointments at Rady Children’s specialty clinics, and residents are accompanied to appointments by their parents and/or staff.
Our interdisciplinary team includes the program director, physicians, licensed nurses, occupational, physical and recreational therapists, a dietitian, a social worker, and certified nursing assistants. The resident’s parents/guardians, the San Diego Regional Center service coordinator and a San Diego Unified School District teacher are part of our team as well.
This interdisciplinary team meets quarterly for each resident to monitor the appropriateness and effectiveness of each resident’s individualized program.
Outdoor Recreational Activities
Recreational activities are both on and off campus. On-site activities include canine therapy, music time, arts and crafts, and birthday parties. Off-campus events include trips to the San Diego Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, SeaWorld, Mission Bay, Padres Games, the Del Mar Fairgrounds and the SkateWorld Roller Rink. Click here for our Activities Calendar.
We recognize the importance of your child’s psychosocial needs. For this reason, we welcome all family members and family-approved visitors to visit as often as they’d like during our normal visitor hours. Our normal visiting hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day of the week. We also provide caregiver training and education for each family member so they can participate in their child’s daily care needs and take their child off campus for outings in the community or overnight stays at home on special occasions.
To be admitted to our center, children must meet the following criteria:
- Have a medical condition that warrants 24-hour nursing care
- Be non-ambulatory
- Be 20 years old or younger at the time of admission
- May have a tracheostomy and may be ventilator dependent (For our tracheostomy brochure, click here: English/En español.)
In the News
- Otay Ranch Girl Reunited with Dog After Being in Children’s Hospital for Nearly Two Years, cbs8.com, features Rady Children’s patient
- Ambulance Company Helps Hospital Patient, 12, Get Home for the Holiday, nbcsandiego.com, features Bernardy Center Patient
- Rady Children’s Patient Returns Home for Holiday Visit, fox5sandiego.com, features Bernardy Center patient
- Remembering Bernardy Center Employee Bob Davis, The San Diego Union-Tribune
- 86-year-old man sets Rady Children’s volunteer record, fox5sandiego.com
- Holiday Party Brings Cheer to Patients, Family Members, The San Diego Union-Tribune
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s.
To donate, click the link below and select Bernardy Center for Medically Fragile Children from the Gift Designation Drop-down menu:
You can also contact us for more information and to tour our facility. Please call our admissions coordinator at 858-966-5833.
Volunteers make such a great impact on these children’s lives. To apply and learn more about volunteer opportunites, click below.