Rady Children’s Psychiatry Department, under the direction of Jay Giedd, M.D., provides comprehensive mental health and psychosocial services to children, adolescents and their families.
We offer a full range of outpatient services for conditions including depression, anxiety, attention deficit disorders, behavior problems, psychosis and eating disorders. Inpatient services are provided for children and teens with psychiatric illness, eating disorders and medical/behavioral disorders.
- Diagnostic evaluations
- Medication evaluations
- Treatment including individual therapy, group therapy, family therapy and parent education
- Psychological testing
These services are offered at several locations in San Diego County, and bilingual and bi-cultural staff are available. Services also offered at our Torrey Hills location. Emergency and crisis intervention is available 24 hours a day through the Sam S. and Rose Stein Emergency Care Center.
Behavioral Health Urgent Care
Behavioral health services are offered at Rady Children’s Mid-City (San Diego) Urgent Care for children, teens and their families struggling with urgent emotional and/or behavioral concerns that pose a risk to their safety or the safety of others, or that significantly impair their daily lives. This program has been made possible by a generous grant from Price Philanthropies.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Services (CAPS) program, an inpatient unit for children and adolescents up to age 18 with psychiatric illness
- Eating Disorders/Medical Behavioral Unit, the only child and adolescent medical/behavioral inpatient unit in San Diego, with programs for eating disorders and medical/behavioral disorders
- Crisis Stabilization Unit, a short-term crisis assessment and treatment program that assists patients during a mental health crisis
All of these services are provided on the main Hospital campus, enabling patients to access the full range of medical services if needed.
School Mental Health Services
Mental health services in selected school districts throughout San Diego County
Developmental, Psychological and Neuropsychological Evaluations
Click here for information about our Autism Discovery Institute.
Complex Developmental and Mental Health Needs
Click here for information about KidStart.
Sleep Disorder Assessment
In the News
- New Center Shows Surge in Demand for Children’s Mental Health Services, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Director of Behavioral Services, features Barent Mynderse, director of behavioral services
- San Diego Experts on How Anxiety Affects Children, kpbs.com, features psychiatrist Desiree Shapiro, M.D.
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.