The Special Needs Clinic at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego cares for medically fragile children with complex healthcare needs.
As the only primary care practice in San Diego to do so, we offer these children a “medical home,” providing care that is accessible, comprehensive, compassionate and sensitive to cultural differences.
We see more than 300 patients with a wide range of medical conditions; many are unable to communicate verbally, walk, stand or feed themselves on their own.
Among the conditions we manage are:
- Multisystem failure.
- Complex neurological disorders.
- Stroke or traumatic coma.
- Complex pulmonary management, including ventilator dependence.
- Respiratory failure and pulmonary edema.
- Major GI diagnoses with complications.
- Septicemia and other infections.
Bretten D. Pickering M.D., Medical Director; Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, UC San Diego
Sallylou Dotson, R.N., Care Coordinator