The Special Needs Clinic at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego cares for medically fragile children with complex health care needs.
As the only primary care practice in San Diego to do so, we offer these children a medical home, providing care that is accessible, comprehensive, compassionate and sensitive to cultural differences.
We see more than 300 patients with a wide range of medical conditions; many are unable to communicate verbally, walk, stand or feed themselves on their own.
Among the conditions we manage are:
- Multisystem failure
- Complex neurological disorders
- Stroke or traumatic coma
- Complex pulmonary management, including ventilator dependence
- Respiratory failure and pulmonary edema
- Major GI diagnoses with complications
- Septicemia and other infections
Bretten D. Pickering, M.D., Medical Director; Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, UC San Diego
Melissa Holmes, R.N., and Jennifer Mortimer, R.N., Care Coordinators