If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room, call the suicide hotline at 1-800-273-8255, or text HOME to 741741 for free, 24/7 crisis counseling.
The Primary Care Mental Health Integration Program, part of the Transforming Mental Health Initiative, brings mental and behavioral health care to patients and their families alongside medical care.
Currently offered at select Children’s Primary Care Medical Group and Children’s Physicians Medical Group locations, the program seeks to improve the emotional well-being of children and adolescents through conducting early identification screenings, increasing access to behavioral health care, implementing prevention programs and providing evidence-based treatment. This is accomplished through having an integrated health therapist (IHT) embedded in the primary care office, enabling your child to access both medical care and therapy at the same location.
During a medical consultation, your child’s pediatrician will request an IHT if they determine it is necessary. The IHT will then assess the level of behavioral health care that is needed for your child.
The IHT will work with you and your child to develop and help manage an evidence-based treatment plan.
- Education on health and mental wellness topics
- Talk therapy
- Crisis intervention
- Motivational interviewing
- Connection to community health resources
If appropriate, the IHT can also refer you to community-based resources, including psychiatrists, psychologists and clinical social workers who can provide your child with more specialized, long-term, behavioral health services.
In the News
- The Mental Health Initiative Transforming Children’s Health — USA Today
- Domonique Hensler Promoting Mental Health Outreach and Awareness – Giving Back (gbsan.com)
- Rady Children’s Hospital to open new clinic in Murrieta – Press Enterprise
- Copley Psychiatric Emergency Department
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Services (CAPS)
- Medical Behavioral Unit
- Child Life Services
- Behavioral Health Urgent Care
- Chadwick Center for Children and Families
- Center for Gender-Affirming Care
For more information, email TMHTeam@rchsd.org.