Video Visits (Telemedicine)
Ready to receive care from the comfort of your own home? Our Rady Children’s Specialists now offer video visits (telemedicine) from your computer or mobile device. Your physician can address many of your medical issues, prescribe new medications and refill medications. Save time by skipping the traffic and waiting room while still receiving exceptional care from your medical team. Learn more.
Preparing for Your Upcoming Telemedicine or In-Person Visit
Time with your child’s health care team is important, and we have resources to help you make the most of your upcoming specialty appointment. Learn how to get ready.
The Division of Otolaryngology of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego specializes in caring for newborns, children and adolescents with ear, nose, throat, neck and airway problems. All of our physicians have completed advanced fellowship training and devote their entire practice to treating kids.
We provide complete diagnostic exams and offer all forms of corrective and reconstructive surgery of the ear, nose/sinuses, throat, neck and airway. Additionally, we manage various complex disorders, including:
- Congenital and acquired hearing loss
- Airway issues ranging from obstructive sleep apnea to complex diseases of the larynx and trachea requiring endoscopic or external surgical intervention and reconstruction
- Acute sinusitis as well as complications of sinusitis that can involve the eye or brain
- Chronic sinusitis (also in children with cystic fibrosis)
- Congenital abnormalities of the face and neck, including lymphatic and vascular malformations
- Malignancies of the head and neck, including thyroid and parotid disease
- Congenital and post-traumatic nasal deformity and obstruction
- Communication, speech and voice disorders
Along with providing expert care, we are committed to educating future pediatric otolaryngologists through teaching and training medical students, residents and fellows. And through continuing medical education, didactic and multidisciplinary conferences, and involvement in professional societies, we enhance our own knowledge in the field.
The Division also has an active research program to study novel treatments and techniques for treating the full range of ear, nose and throat problems.
Video: Dr. Matthew Brigger discusses our renowned ENT program
- Is internationally recognized as a leader in the treatment of pediatric airway disorders, such as recurrent respiratory papillomatosis.
- Participates in multi-institutional trials of cutting-edge treatments for children with lymphatic and vascular malformations.
- Leads Rady Children’s Pediatric Aerodigestive and Airway team, which provides a multidisciplinary approach to managing patients with airway and feeding disorders
- Leads the multidisciplinary Cochlear Implant Evaluation team, which performs the vast majority of cochlear implants in San Diego and Imperial counties.
- Hosts an Endoscopy Day meeting, in which faculty from the United States and abroad review complex airway issues and use telemedicine to discuss difficult operative cases in real time
- Dr. Daniela Carvalho selected as 2022 president-elect of the Society of Ear, Nose and Throat Advancement in Children (SENTAC).
In the News
- Why Some Kids Keep Getting Infected Tonsils — and How to Fix It, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Matthew Brigger, M.D., M.P.H.
- Kids Get to Experience the ‘Joy of Sound’ with Rady Children’s Hospital, fox5sandiego.com, features Daniela Carvalho, M.D.
- Carmel Valley Doctor Dedicated to Preventing Hearing Loss in Kids Due to Frequent Noise Exposure, Del Mar Times, features Daniela Carvalho, M.D.
- Study by Shelby Leuin, M.D., and colleagues: “Hoarseness Associated with Early Kawasaki Disease Diagnosis.”