The Division of Infectious Diseases specializes in the diagnosis, management and prevention of serious, complicated or unusual infections in children. Expert care is provided by the infectious disease specialists of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego.
The Division is also an integral part of the teaching program for the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, training the best and brightest medical students, pediatric residents and pediatric infectious diseases fellows.
Our services include:
- Inpatient and outpatient consultation.
- Specialized laboratory testing and interpretation of results.
- Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT) Clinic.
Outpatient clinics are held twice weekly for new patient evaluations and follow-up visits of children previously seen at the Hospital or clinic. Physicians wishing to refer children with urgent or problematic infections may do so any day of the week.
The Division is a leader in basic science and clinical research, with a focus on new antibiotics, antifungal and antiviral therapy, and investigational treatment with immune modulators.
- Mark Sawyer, M.D., testifies before the U.S. Senate Health Committee on measles outbreak.
- John Bradley, M.D., FAAP, Division Chief, receives the Award for Lifetime Contribution in Infectious Disease Education from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
In the News
- Lessons Learned from Ebola Epidemic Discussed at San Diego Conference, KPBS, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- 11th Annual “Kick the Flu” Summit in San Diego, NBC San Diego, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- As Kids Go Back to School, States Look to Encourage Vaccinations, CNN.com, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Officials Hope to Dispel Vaccine Fears with New Law, San Diego Union-Tribune, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Pregnancy is the Best Time for Some Vaccines, New York Times, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Doctors Worry About Return of Vaccine-Preventable Ills in Kids, Medical Xpress, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Vaccines Needed to Keep Diseases from Returning, PR Newswire, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Wanted: Infected Kids for Playdates, U.S. News & World Report, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Infants and Measles: What Parents Need to Know, Orange County Register, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Doctors Learn to Talk Vaccines, The Wall Street Journal, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- San Diego Doctor Advises Senate on Measles Outbreak, nbcsandiego.com, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Vaccine Skeptics on the Rise, The Wall Street Journal, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Once Easily Recognizable, Signs of Measles Now Elude Young Doctors, Los Angeles Times, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Epidemic Shows Vaccine’s Weakness, U-T San Diego, features John Bradley, M.D., FAAP