The Division of Infectious Diseases specializes in the diagnosis, management and prevention of serious, complicated or unusual infections in children. Expert care is provided by the infectious disease specialists of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego.
The Division is also an integral part of the teaching program for the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, training the best and brightest medical students, pediatric residents and pediatric infectious diseases fellows.
Our services include:
- Inpatient and outpatient consultation
- Specialized laboratory testing and interpretation of results
- Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT) Clinic
Outpatient clinics are held twice weekly for new patient evaluations and follow-up visits of children previously seen at the Hospital or clinic. Physicians wishing to refer children with urgent or problematic infections may do so any day of the week.
The Division is a leader in basic science and clinical research, with a focus on new antibiotics, antifungal and antiviral therapy, and investigational treatment with immune modulators.
- Mark Sawyer, M.D., testifies before the U.S. Senate Health Committee on measles outbreak.
- John Bradley, M.D., FAAP, Division Chief, receives the Award for Lifetime Contribution in Infectious Disease Education from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
In the News
- Why Your Kids Likely Won’t Get the Flu Spray This Year, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Febrile Seizures After Childhood Vaccines Are Rare, Study Finds, NPR, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- New Breakthroughs for Treating MRSA Infections, kusi.com, features John Bradley, M.D.
- Antibiotic fights MRSA in Children, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features John Bradley, M.D., and Juan Chaparro, M.D.
- Meningococcal Disease is Increasingly Rare, But Still Deadly, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- New Antibiotic Rules Are Key in Superbug Fight, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features John Bradley, M.D.
- Doctors Divided on Meningitis B Vaccine, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- South Bay Teen Who Lost Leg to Flesh-eating Bacteria is Ready to Go Home, 10news.com, features John Bradley, M.D.
- Ebola Epidemic Discussed at San Diego Conference, KPBS, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- 11th Annual “Kick the Flu” Summit in San Diego, NBC San Diego, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- As Kids Go Back to School, States Look to Encourage Vaccinations, CNN.com, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Officials Hope to Dispel Vaccine Fears with New Law, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Pregnancy is the Best Time for Some Vaccines, The New York Times, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Doctors Worry About Return of Vaccine-Preventable Ills in Kids, Medical Xpress, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.
- Vaccines Needed to Keep Diseases from Returning, PR Newswire, features Mark Sawyer, M.D.