First of its Kind in Southern California
Welcome to the Helen and Will Webster Foundation 3D Innovations Lab at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.
The lab creates 3D models and prints based on medical images, such as CT scans and MRIs. The goals are to support precise surgical planning and improve outcomes specifically for pediatric patients.
Additionally, the lab:
- Trains current and future physicians and scientists
- Develops educational resources for patients and families
- Fuels further innovation in the 3D modeling space
New! Advanced Printing Technology
Recently, Rady Children’s was one of the first hospitals to acquire a 3D printer with the ability to print models that simulate human tissue. Since installing the new machine, the lab has printed life-like models of hearts, airways and bones. This has enabled even more precise surgical planning as well as the opportunity for enhanced training and education.
Video: COVID-19 and 3D-Printed Face Shields
Facing a potential shortage of personal protective equipment, Rady Children’s 3D Innovations Lab sprang into action, figuring out a way to use 3D printing to manufacture reusable face shields for clinical staff.
In the News
- Manufacturers Shift to PPE Production to Fight COVID-19 Pandemic, Assembly, features Justin Ryan, Ph.D.
- San Diego’s Smallest Patients Getting Help from 3D Technology at Rady Children’s Hospital, features Justin Ryan, Ph.D.
- 3D Printing Programs Fuel a Model Approach to Care, features Justin Ryan, Ph.D.
- 3D Printing: A New Way to See Biology, Healthy Kids, features Justin Ryan, Ph.D., Sanjeet Hegde, M.D., Ph.D., Salil Upasani, M.D.
- Pediatric Surgeons Use 3D Printing to Help with Complex Operations, KPBS, features patient Lincoln Matthews, Justin Ryan, Ph.D., and John Nigro, M.D.
- 3D Printing Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, MedtechDive, features Justin Ryan, Ph.D.
- Now You Can Really Hold Your Heart in Your Hands, cbs8.com, features Christopher Davis, M.D., Ph.D., Sanjeet Hegde, M.D., Ph.D., and John Nigro, M.D.
- Rady Children’s Hospital First to Use 3D Heart Printing in San Diego, fox5sandiego.com, features Sanjeet Hegde, M.D., Ph.D.