|We’d like to reassure parents that there are no confirmed coronavirus cases at Rady Children’s and that there is no exposure risk at the Hospital, our clinics or satellite locations. Parents should feel confident making and keeping their appointments and utilizing our services as usual. Rady Children’s medical team is fully prepared to handle any infectious diseases that may be in the community.|
Coronavirus Preparation at Rady Children’s
Rady Children’s has a comprehensive plan in place that addresses how we respond to an infectious outbreak like the coronavirus.
Here are some ways that Rady Children’s is taking action:
- We have a core team of experts who plan for infectious outbreaks and work in close collaboration with our San Diego County partners in public health.
- We quickly identify patients who may be infected and then immediately isolate them from other patients and families.
- Staff wear the correct personal protective gear and follow established practices, including excellent hand hygiene.
- We participate in calls with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and communicate directly with our local health department on any potential pediatric cases.
We are confident in our plan to take care of coronavirus patients as we have with other recent outbreaks of measles, mumps, pertussis and H1N1.
As more cases are identified in the United States and specifically San Diego, you can keep yourself and family safe by using common sense: use good hand hygiene, practice cough etiquette (use a facial tissue or your elbow when coughing and encouraging others to do the same), and get plenty of rest, exercise, and nutrition. These actions can help you and your family stay healthy with any virus circulating in the community.
On Sept. 16, 2019, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed an executive order to confront the growing youth epidemic and health risks linked to vaping. The order calls for the launch of a $20 million public awareness campaign. Learn more at https://www.flavorshookkids.org.
If your child is already affected and needs help with quitting, there is a free mobile program from Truth Initiative designed to help young people. Visit https://truthinitiative.org/thisisquitting.
- Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with the Use of E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Products (CDC)
- Vaping: Know the Dangers
- California Department of Public Health Health Advisory for Health Care Professionals Vaping Associated Pulmonary Injury (VAPI) (10/1/19)
- California Department of Public Health Issues Public Health Advisory Urging Everyone to Refrain from Vaping (9/24/19)
- E-Cigarettes Shaped Like USB Flash Drives
- Dr. John Bradley on the E. coli infections linked to the San Diego County Fair (7/2/19)
- E. coli 0157 Frequently Asked Questions (7/1/19)