The Health Champions Program Guide includes simple yet detailed lesson plans and activities to assist the Facilitator. The Program Guide is designed to make it easy for the Facilitator to impart basic health concepts via games and activities, engage students in a range of physical activities and demonstrate how to create healthy snacks and meals. The curriculum includes an abundance of hands-on activities to keep Health Champion participants active and engaged.
Health Champions is designed for the Facilitator to lead participants through a series of weekly sessions that include each of the following four components:
- Ice Breaker and/or Team-building Activity
- Health Topic
- Physical Activity
- Healthy Snack and/or Cooking Demonstration Activity
The Program Guide includes individual sections for each of the four components listed above, so that the Facilitator can easily assemble a complete session by choosing one lesson plan/activity from each section. The sections are designed so that one complete session containing all four components will take approximately 90-120 minutes to complete.
The goals for Health Champions participants are to:
- Increase knowledge about overweight and obesity and key prevention strategies
- Increase physical activity
- Increase intake of fruits and vegetables
- Decrease soda/sugary drinks and high-fat, high-calorie foods
- Become an advocate for a healthy environment
Schools and organizations are encouraged to use the program guide in a manner that works best.. In other words, the content, length of sessions, number of sessions per week and duration of the program may differ depending on the needs of your students.
Download the Health Champions Curriculum