Video Visits (Telemedicine)
Ready to receive care from the comfort of your own home? Our Rady Children’s Specialists now offer video visits (telemedicine) from your computer or mobile device. Your physician can address many of your medical issues, prescribe new medications and refill medications. Save time by skipping the traffic and waiting room while still receiving exceptional care from your medical team. Learn more.
Preparing for Your Upcoming Telemedicine or In-Person Visit
Time with your child’s health care team is important, and we have resources to help you make the most of your upcoming specialty appointment. Learn how to get ready.
The Division of Genetics/Dysmorphology evaluates children with birth defects and/or genetic conditions and provides genetic counseling. Expert care is provided by the physicians of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego.
There are many reasons why your child’s doctor may have referred your child to this specialty: your child has symptoms or problems without a specific diagnosis; your child has a specific diagnosis, but you want more information about the condition or are interested in genetic counseling; or your child has a birth defect, such as cleft lip and palate, for which a specialist needs to direct and manage the treatment.
Our team includes both physicians and genetic counselors. Our physicians see children with clinical conditions that need diagnosis or management, and our genetic counselors work with families who have concerns based on their family history and/or are interested in genetic testing.
Working with multidisciplinary teams from other specialties, our physicians evaluate children in the following clinics and programs:
- Precision Medicine Clinic
- Prader-Willi Syndrome Clinic
- Craniofacial Disorders and Cleft Palate (Plastic Surgery division)
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Clinic (858-246-0047)
Our team is also available for consultations with physicians seven days a week.
Marilyn Jones, M.D., named recipient of the 2020 David Bixler Distinguished Scientist in Craniofacial Research Award, the highest scientific honor bestowed by the Society for Craniofacial Genetics and Developmental Biology.
In the News
- San Diego Biotech Company Teams Up With Doctors to Offer Genome Sequencing to Tijuana Children, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Marilyn Jones, M.D.
- Special Report: Sebastiana’s Story, KBNT Univision, features Miguel del Campo, M.D., Ph.D.
- What Does Congenital Zika Syndrome Look Like?, Infection Control Today, features Miguel del Campo, M.D., Ph.D.
- Blood Test May Help Identify Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, Edge Media, features Christina Chambers, Ph.D.
- San Diego Researchers Working to Learn More about Zika Virus, kusi.com, features Miguel del Campo, M.D., Ph.D.
- This Mother Drank While Pregnant. Here’s What Her Daughter’s like at 43, The Washington Post, features Kenneth Lyons Jones, M.D.
- Existing Compound Holds Promise for Reducing Huntington’s Disease Progression, UC San Diego, features Albert La Spada, M.D., Ph.D.
- Clinical Trials May Lead to a Cure for SMA, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Albert La Spada, M.D., Ph.D.