The Division of Plastic Surgery is internationally recognized for its expertise in treating complex craniofacial disorders as well as functional problems with the jaw and airway. We are a high-volume program, performing more than 1,000 procedures a year.
Our highly experienced team treats a wide range conditions, including cleft lip and palate, vascular lesions, craniosynostosis (a congenital defect that prevents normal skull and brain growth) and disorders of the hand and upper extremity conditions, such as brachial plexus, arthrogyposis and congenital hand differences.
Craniofacial surgeons work closely with vascular malformation and pediatric dermatology specialists, helping to ensure the best possible outcomes. To treat craniosynostosis, we use a minimally invasive endoscopic approach whenever possible, resulting, in some cases, in immediate correction of the deformity.
Research is also a division priority. In the area of cleft lip and palate surgery, Dr. Gosman continues to investigate new techniques, such as the use of bone graft alternatives for the early primary repair of alveolar clefts. Additionally, she is the principal investigator for an American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons grant to evaluate new and safer imaging exams for children under 5 who are being treated for cleft lip and palate.
We also train the next generation of pediatric plastic surgeons through our fellowship program, which has successfully been integrated with our research endeavors.
- Amanda Gosman, M.D., received a grant from the Rady Children’s Medical Practice Foundation and the UC San Diego Clinical and Translational Research Institute to develop a Pediatric Facial Deformity Quality of Life Tool in collaboration with the Department of Psychology at San Diego State University.
- Amanda Gosman, M.D., was awarded the UC San Diego School of Medicine Academy of Clinician Scholars Grant for the project “Impact of an Interactive Web-based Patient Education Tool on Informed Consent for Plastic Surgery Procedures.”
- Amanda Gosman, M.D., was named a “Healthcare Champion” by the San Diego Business Journal and a “Local Hero” by Bank of America for her volunteer work at the Fresh Start Clinic at Rady Children’s. She has volunteered more than 350 hours and has donated well over $270,000 in free medical services to Fresh Start Surgical Gifts’ patients.
- Amanda Gosman, M.D., received a 2016 Daily Point of Light Award for her international humanitarian work from Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service. Learn more.
A fun, inclusive and community-building experience for youth with physical differences & disabilities and their families. Join us for these upcoming events in June and July. Download the flyer below for more information.
View our recent article in Healthy Kids magazine which details an inside look at our division and highlights our achievements as a department.
Video: Learn about our innovative Plastic Surgery program
In the News
- Fresh Start Surgical Gifts to Host Annual Butterfly Ball ‘Here Comes the Sun’ October 2, 2021, OSideNews, mentions Rady Children’s Hospital- San Diego
- Fresh Start Surgical Gifts & Fresh Start Caring For Kids To Provide $900,000 Worth Of Transformative Medical Care To Patients On Surgery Weekend In September, Market Insider, mentions Rady Children’s Hospital- San Diego
- UC San Diego Health New Chief of Plastic Surgery, kusi.com, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.
- Nonprofit Group Provides free Reconstructive Surgery to Disadvantaged Children, Redlands Daily Facts, mentions Fresh Start Clinic at Rady Children’s Hospital- San Diego
- What to Do about Flat Head Syndrome in Babies, U.S. News & World Report, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.
- ‘Wonder’ is Real Life for These Two Families, cnn.com, features patient Shane Vysocky
- Improving Lives through the Gift of a Fresh Start, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Medical Program Services Manager for Fresh Start Surgical Gifts Lupita Morales
- Community Volunteer Amanda Gosman Is Focused on Worldwide Quality Medical Care, 92024 Magazine, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.
- La Jolla Surgeon Expands on Charitable Surgery, La Jolla Light, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.
- Finding Life’s Meaning in Charitable Medicine, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.