Video Visits (Telemedicine)
Ready to receive care from the comfort of your own home? Our Rady Children’s Specialists now offer video visits (telemedicine) from your computer or mobile device. Your physician can address many of your medical issues, prescribe new medications and refill medications. Save time by skipping the traffic and waiting room while still receiving exceptional care from your medical team. Learn more.
Preparing for Your Upcoming Telemedicine or In-Person Visit
Time with your child’s health care team is important, and we have resources to help you make the most of your upcoming specialty appointment. Learn how to get ready.
The Division of Plastic Surgery is internationally recognized for its expertise in treating complex craniofacial disorders as well as functional problems with the jaw and airway. We are a high-volume program, performing more than 1,000 procedures a year. Amanda Gosman, M.D. (pictured right), is the division chief and the director of craniofacial surger
Our highly experienced team treats a wide range conditions, including cleft lip and palate, vascular lesions, craniosynostosis (a congenital defect that prevents normal skull and brain growth) and disorders of the hand and upper extremity conditions, such as brachial plexus, arthrogyposis and congenital hand differences.
Craniofacial surgeons work closely with vascular malformation and pediatric dermatology specialists, helping to ensure the best possible outcomes. To treat craniosynostosis, we use a minimally invasive endoscopic approach whenever possible, resulting, in some cases, in immediate correction of the deformity.
Research is also a division priority. In the area of cleft lip and palate surgery, Dr. Gosman continues to investigate new techniques, such as the use of bone graft alternatives for the early primary repair of alveolar clefts. Additionally, she is the principal investigator for an American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons grant to evaluate new and safer imaging exams for children under 5 who are being treated for cleft lip and palate.
We also train the next generation of pediatric plastic surgeons through our fellowship program, which has successfully been integrated with our research endeavors.
- Ralph Holmes, M.D. (pictured right), vice chief of plastic surgery, is a pioneer in the use of biodegradable devices in craniomaxillofacial surgery.
- Amanda Gosman, M.D., received a grant from the Rady Children’s Medical Practice Foundation and the UC San Diego Clinical and Translational Research Institute to develop a Pediatric Facial Deformity Quality of Life Tool in collaboration with the Department of Psychology at San Diego State University.
- Amanda Gosman, M.D., was awarded the UC San Diego School of Medicine Academy of Clinician Scholars Grant for the project “Impact of an Interactive Web-based Patient Education Tool on Informed Consent for Plastic Surgery Procedures.”
- Amanda Gosman, M.D., was named a “Healthcare Champion” by the San Diego Business Journal and a “Local Hero” by Bank of America for her volunteer work at the Fresh Start Clinic at Rady Children’s. She has volunteered more than 350 hours and has donated well over $270,000 in free medical services to Fresh Start Surgical Gifts’ patients.
- Amanda Gosman, M.D., received a 2016 Daily Point of Light Award for her international humanitarian work from Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service. Learn more.
Video: Learn about our innovative Plastic Surgery program
In the News
- Fresh Start Surgical Gifts to Host Annual Butterfly Ball ‘Here Comes the Sun’ October 2, 2021, OSideNews, mentions Rady Children’s Hospital- San Diego
- Fresh Start Surgical Gifts & Fresh Start Caring For Kids To Provide $900,000 Worth Of Transformative Medical Care To Patients On Surgery Weekend In September, Market Insider, mentions Rady Children’s Hospital- San Diego
- UC San Diego Health New Chief of Plastic Surgery, kusi.com, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.
- Nonprofit Group Provides free Reconstructive Surgery to Disadvantaged Children, Redlands Daily Facts, mentions Fresh Start Clinic at Rady Children’s Hospital- San Diego
- What to Do about Flat Head Syndrome in Babies, U.S. News & World Report, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.
- ‘Wonder’ is Real Life for These Two Families, cnn.com, features patient Shane Vysocky
- Improving Lives through the Gift of a Fresh Start, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Medical Program Services Manager for Fresh Start Surgical Gifts Lupita Morales
- Community Volunteer Amanda Gosman Is Focused on Worldwide Quality Medical Care, 92024 Magazine, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.
- La Jolla Surgeon Expands on Charitable Surgery, La Jolla Light, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.
- Finding Life’s Meaning in Charitable Medicine, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Amanda Gosman, M.D.