- FAQs: For Children with Solid Organ Transplant or Heart Failure
- What to Know: English | Spanish
- Wanna Be a Health Hero? English | Spanish
- Social Distancing: Spanish
Heart Transplant Center Overview
Rady Children’s Heart Transplant Center is ranked among the nation’s best health transplant programs. Our healthcare professionals have developed a program that can provide heart transplants for every patient with congenital heart disease, from infancy through adulthood. At our heart transplant program your child will receive expert care from a highly skilled and experienced heart transplant team.
The center’s excellent outcomes for heart transplant recipients from healthcare professionals have made us a leading referral center for the entire Southern California region, as well as parts of Arizona, Hawaii and the South Pacific.
Because of our heart transplant team of medical professionals and services, we are also a California Children’s Services (CCS)-designated Center of Excellence, based on meeting strict quality outcomes criteria. CCS is a state program for children with certain diseases or health problems for children up to 21 years old.
Expert care and heart transplantation from our health professionals may be an option for your child if he or she has symptoms of heart failure from cardiomyopathy, congenital heart disease or life-threatening abnormal heart rhythms. Medical professionals from our Pediatric Heart Failure and Transplant Program will carefully and thoroughly evaluate your child to see if he or she is a suitable candidate for a transplant. If your child is deemed a suitable heart transplant candidate, the process can begin of preparing your child for the procedure. Learn about heart transplant surgery.
In the News
- Anonymous heart donor gifts 6-year-old Chula Vista boy second chance at life, 10news.com
- Teen Gets First Dual Heart-Kidney Transplant at Rady Children’s Hospital, fox5sandiego.com
- Smallest Baby to Receive Heart Transplant in San Diego Heads Home in Time for Mother’s Day, cbs8.com
- Gift That Marks the End of One Baby’s Life Saves Another, 10news.com, features John J. Nigro, M.D.
- Story About a Young Boy’s Heart Is Sure to Touch Yours, cbs8.com, features John J. Nigro, M.D., and Adriana Tremoulet, M.D.
- Baby Makes History With Heart Transplant, Fox 5 San Diego
- 2 Twins, 2 Hearts in Two Months, U-T San Diego
- Rady Site of Second Pediatric Heart Transplant, SD News
- Child Heart Transplant a San Diego First, U-T San Diego
- 11-Year-Old Heart Transplant Patient, 1st in San Diego, Goes Home, Times of San Diego
Rady Children’s Doctors Perform Hospital’s First Pediatric Heart Transplant, Transplant Families
- 11-Year-Old Boy Undergoes First SD Pediatric Heart Transplant, SD News
Video: First ever dual heart-kidney transplant performed by our health professionals at Rady Children’s