Rady Children’s offers comprehensive food allergy testing, diagnosis, and management for children with multiple food challenges and allergies.
Through its association with UC San Diego School of Medicine, the Center is the only academically affiliated pediatric Food Allergy Center in San Diego County. Our providers are nationally and internationally recognized experts in food allergy and Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome. Additionally, the team conducts research to better understand food allergies and find new food allergy treatments.
Through our efforts, we seek to enhance the quality of life of children with food allergies. Having a diagnosis of food allergy is a life-changing experience, and we are dedicated to ensuring that children with food allergy symptoms live safe, happy, and fulfilling lives.
Pediatric Allergy Conditions Treated
- Food Allergies
- Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome (FPIES)
- Oral Allergy Syndrome
- Anaphylaxis for kids with severe allergic reactions
- Co-existing allergic conditions, including eczema, allergic rhinitis, asthma, chronic hives, and mast cell disorders
- Skin prick testing for pediatric allergy symptoms before treatment
- Allergen specific-IgE blood testing, including specialized component testing
- Oral Food Challenges
- Peanut oral immunotherapy, or desensitization
- Peanut epicutaneous immunotherapy, i.e. the “patch” (pending approval)
- Expert evaluation and an individualized patient-centered management plan
- Development of a personalized Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan
- Education on how to avoid food allergens/severe allergic reactions and safely manage food allergies at home, at school, and in public spaces
- Access to studies and clinical trials, which allow you or your child to participate in research and up-and-coming treatments for food allergy
- 2011: Establishment of Food Allergy Center by Dr. Stephanie Leonard
- 2012: Became the first food allergy center in Southern California to participate in groundbreaking food allergy treatment clinical trials
- 2015: Named a Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE) Center of Excellence and an inaugural member of the FARE Clinical Network
- 2020: Expands to open the Food Allergy Immunotherapy Clinic for patients
Video: Learn About Food Allergies from Dr. Susan Laubach
Support Our Food Allergy Research. Donate Now!
Consider joining our team or making a donation to our fundraising page.