Food Allergy Center
Rady Children’s Hospital, through its association with UC San Diego School of Medicine, has the only academically affiliated pediatric Food Allergy Center in San Diego County.
We offer comprehensive testing, diagnosis and management of food allergies, including specialized care for children with multiple food allergies. Our providers are nationally and internationally recognized experts in food allergy and FPIES. Additionally, we conduct research to better understand food allergies and enroll patients in clinical trials for new food allergy treatments.
- 2011: Establishment of Food Allergy Center by Dr. Stephanie Leonard
- 2012: Became first center in Southern California to participate in groundbreaking food allergy treatment clinical trials
- 2015: Named a Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE) Center of Excellence and an inaugural member of the FARE Clinical Network
- 2020: Expands to open the Food Allergy Immunotherapy clinic
- Food Allergies
- Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome (FPIES)
- Oral Allergy Syndrome
- Co-existing allergic conditions, including eczema, allergic rhinitis, asthma, chronic hives and mast cell disorders
- Skin prick testing
- Allergen specific-IgE blood testing, including specialized component testing
- Oral Food Challenges
- Peanut oral immunotherapy, or desensitization
- Peanut epicutaneous immunotherapy, i.e. the “patch” (pending approval)
- Expert evaluation and an individualized patient-centered management plan
- Development of a personalized Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan
- Education on how to avoid food allergens and safely manage food allergies at home, at school and in public spaces
- Access to studies and clinical trials, which allow you or your child to participate in research and up-and-coming treatments for food allergy
Through our efforts we seek to find a cure and enhance the quality of life of children with food allergies. Having a diagnosis of food allergy is a life-changing experience, and we are dedicated to ensuring that children with food allergies live safe, happy and fulfilling lives.