Video Visits (Telemedicine)
Rady Children’s is committed to safely meeting the health care needs of all children in our community and protecting everyone from exposure to COVID-19. In addition to select on-site visits, we are now offering video (telemedicine) visits from your computer or mobile device. Telemedicine visits are convenient, effective, safe and available for many of the services we offer. For more information, please contact us. Learn more.
Allergy & Asthma Medical Group is temporarily CLOSED AS OF MARCH 23 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (See the AAMG website for more information.)
Allergy and Anaphylaxis Action Plan
San Diego County now has a standardized Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan (AAEP) that all schools and medical practices are encouraged to adopt. Please follow this AAEP in lieu of other medication authorizations or plans for food allergy and anaphylaxis. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns; you can call the clinic at 858-966-5961. View and print the plan below.
The Allergy & Immunology Program of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego provides comprehensive care for children with allergic immune disorders, conducts cutting-edge research and is actively involved in professional organizations that advance treatment and research in the field.
Our Asthma & Allergy Clinic is offered at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego and satellite offices in San Diego and Riverside counties. At the Hospital, we also offer specialized clinics for immunology, food allergy, severe asthma, eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorders and recurrent fever disorders. The latter two clinics were the first of their kind in the western United States.
Our Food Allergy Center is directed by Stephanie Leonard, M.D., who trained at Mt. Sinai Hospital under the tutelage of Hugh Sampson, M.D., one of the world’s foremost authorities on food allergies.
Research and clinical trials are a major focus of our Division and have led to the development of promising treatments. Additionally, our specialists have multiple roles in local and national organizations, with the goal of improving the lives of children with allergy & immunology disorders. These organizations include the Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, American Lung Foundation (through the Asthma Camp), The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network, and American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders.
Video: Dr. Hal Hoffman discusses the Allergy & Immunology program
- Stephanie Leonard, M.D., has published research in the emerging science of food desensitization and induction of tolerance.
- Seema Aceves, M.D., Ph.D., is the senior author on published international guidelines for the diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis in adults and children.
- Seema Aceves, M.D., Ph.D., and Ranjan Dohil, M.D., (Gastroenterology) helped to create a novel steroid formulation to treat eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE).
- Hal Hoffman, M.D., co-discovered the gene for a cold urticaria (hives) syndrome that he originally described. His findings were published in The New England Journal of Medicine. The identification of this gene led to further discoveries and a novel treatment of cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes (CAPS). This treatment is now the first line and most effective therapy for these previously untreatable diseases.
In the News
- 2017 San Diego Wildfire Increased Pediatric ER Visits for Breathing Problems, Newswire, features Sydney Leibel, M.D., M.P.H.
- Preparing for Summer Travel and Allergies, kusi.com, features Akilah Jefferson, M.D.
- Bullying Grows Among Children with Food Allergies, Sometimes by Teachers: Researchers, nbcsandiego.com, features Stephanie Leonard, M.D.
- New Guideline Primes San Diego Pediatricians for Peanuts, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Michael Welch, M.D., and Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- Thunderstorm Related Weather Can Trigger Asthmatic Symptoms, features Stephanie Leonard, M.D.
- The Fight Continues Over Peanuts on Airplanes, Mashable, features Stephanie Leonard, M.D.
- Avoiding Peanuts Can Lead to a Peanut Allergy, kusi.com, features Stephanie Leonard, M.D.
- Kids Find Breathing Room at Asthma, Camp California Healthline, features Michael Welch, M.D.
- Children Outgrow Food Allergies: You Need to Retest, MedShadow.org, features Stephanie Leonard, M.D.
- Feeding Infants Peanut Products Could Prevent Allergies, Study Suggests, nytimes.com
- More Resources to Help Children with Food Allergies, U-T San Diego, features Stephanie Leonard, M.D.