New! COVID-19 Updates:
- Resources for Parents
- Video: Preparing Your Kids for the Hospital — See below
- Video: Inspirational Chalk Drawings — See below
- Video: Crafts for Kids During COVID-19 — See below
Child life specialists at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego help patients and their families understand and cope with the hospital experience.
How We Help Kids
Based on the child’s individual needs and developmental level, child life specialists can provide:
- Psychological preparation for surgery, procedures and medical tests.
- Pre-operative tours and education to help patients and siblings understand and cope with upcoming medical events.
- Emotional support and coping techniques, such as relaxation, diversion and deep breathing.
- Medical and therapeutic play to help patients become more familiar with medical equipment and procedures and encourage expression of feelings.
- Activity Room programming to promote healing, creativity, peer interaction, and independence, all which are all vital to normal growth and development.
- School visits or consultations to promote classmates’ understanding of illness and healthcare.
- Resources on child development.
Video: Preparing Your Kids for the Hospital during COVID-19
Video: Child Life Inspires with Chalk Drawings During COVID-19
Video: Crafts for Kids During COVID-19
In the News
10News Leadership Award: Corinne Gerstein, 10news.com, features Lisa Tweed.
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s.
To donate, click the link below and select Child Life Program from the Gift Designation Drop-down menu: