Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego offers a child life internship twice a year: fall and spring. The program is designed to prepare an individual to sit for the child life certification exam and to pursue a career as a child life specialist.
Please note: We will not be offering an internship for Fall of 2020, and we will resume in Spring of 2021.
This program will provide one intern per session opportunities for the following experiences: educating patients (and/or their siblings) about their illness or condition; preparing and supporting patients for procedures; planning and implementing therapeutic and recreational activities for patients in the playroom and at the bedside; supervising volunteers; attending patient rounds; and identifying the roles of various multidisciplinary team members.
Our Child Life Internship follows the Association of Child Life Professionals internship guidelines and offers two six-week rotations and two-week mini rotations. The intern will gain experience in various Hospital units throughout their internship. Our child life internship is a 15-week, 600 hour full- time program. During this internship, the intern will have the opportunity to learn about the psychosocial needs of the different age groups and complete a series of modules on a variety of topics such as preparation, distraction, medical play, documentation, bereavement and family-centered care. Rady Children’s provides comprehensive care in all pediatric specialties and is also a Level I Trauma Center. Learn more about Rady Children’s.
(ALL REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET PRIOR TO SUBMITTING APPLICATION)
EXPERIENCE: All applicants must have experience working with hospitalized children, plus:
- Required:At least 300 hours of child life experience (100 with well children, 100 with hospitalized children, and 100 with children in stressful situations i.e foster care, grief camps, special needs, etc.
- Highly recommended: Completion of a child life practicum (minimum 100 hours) under the supervision of a certified child life specialist OR
- Highly recommended: Completion of 6 months and a minimum of 250 hours of paid experience as a child life assistant under the supervision of a certified child life specialist
EDUCATION: The applicant must have completed at least a bachelor’s-level degree by the start date of the internship. Master’s degrees may be in progress or completed. If the applicant is currently enrolled in a master’s program, only university-affiliated schools will be accepted. These schools include University of La Verne, Azusa Pacific University and San Diego State University. The degree must be in one of the following subject areas:
- Child life
- Child development
- Human growth and development
- Child psychology
- Other related fields
- GPA of at least a 3.0 in major. Applicants with high academic achievement will have priority.
APPLICATION MATERIALS: All of the following materials must be submitted. Only completed entries will be reviewed.
- Completed child life intern application
- Eligibility assessment – Applicants must meet educational requirements of the ACLP. Courses currently in progress will be accepted if class will be completed by the start of the internship. https://www.childlife.org/certification/candidates/eligibility-assessment
- Copy of transcripts from all attended institutions (student copy acceptable)
- Three Common Recommendation Forms. Preferably two from professional sources who have observed your work with children and one from an academic source.
- Your resume and cover letter
|Internship Session||Application deadlines||Initial offer dates||Acceptance dates||Second offer dates|
|Winter/Spring||Sept. 5||Oct. 13||Oct. 14||Oct.15|
|Fall||Mar. 15||May 4||May 5||May 6|
Please mail the completed application to:
Attn: Child Life
Mail Code 5126
3020 Children’s Way
San Diego, CA 92123
DUE TO HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS YOU WILL NOT BE CONTACTED UNLESS YOU ARE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW. ADDITIONALLY, THE CHILD LIFE DEPARTMENT CANNOT CONFIRM RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION. APPLICANTS WHO DESIRE CONFIRMATION MUST COORDINATE THIS THROUGH THE POSTAL SERVICE OR FEDEX.
We thank you for your interest in the Rady Children’s Child Life Internship Program and we look forward to receiving your application.
For more information, contact Andie Sherman at 858-966-1700, ext. 225208.