The specialty of pediatric surgery is dedicated to the comprehensive surgical care of infants, children and adolescents. Pediatric surgeons spend more years training than almost every other specialty.
Here at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego, world-class pediatric surgery is provided by the Pediatric Surgery Division of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego. All of our pediatric surgeons are trauma surgeons, and all have additional training or specialized expertise in cancer surgery, international health, solid organ transplantation and advanced minimally invasive surgery. Additionally, all of our surgeons are on the academic faculty of the Department of Surgery at the UC San Diego School of Medicine.
From conditions as common as appendicitis and hernias to complex congenital conditions, traumatic injuries, and tumors, our team has the experience and training to care for your child. Our patients include infants in the neonatal intensive care unit, children with cancer, and children who have injuries from an accident or trauma. We perform simple and complex procedures in the abdomen; colon and rectum; and chest and neck, and regularly perform minimally invasive abdominal and chest procedures. Kidney transplants are also performed through Rady Children’s Kidney Transplant Program.
Along with providing expert care, our Division focuses on research, education and innovation – all key components of our shared academic partnership between Rady Children’s and UC San Diego.
Video: Learn about our renowned Pediatric Surgery program
- Among a select group of children’s hospitals performing single-port surgery for appendicitis (operating through the belly button), achieving minimal or no scarring. The single-port method is also used for other procedures, including thoracoscopy, cholecystectomy, nephrectomy, and colon resection.
- A Center of Excellence for the Nuss procedure for pectus excavatum (sunken chest).
- Only designated pediatric trauma center in San Diego and Imperial counties.
- Stephen Bickler, M.D., is co-author of the book chapter “Global Burden of Surgical Conditions,” published in “Essential Surgery,” the first volume of the Disease Control Priorities, 3rd Edition (DCP3) series.
- Stephen Bickler, M.D., is a consultant for the World Health Organization and travels internationally to teach and care for children with surgical disorders.
- Simone Langness, a pediatric surgery resident, and the Division received the M. Judah Folkman Memorial Award for the outstanding research presentation at the 2016 American Pediatric Surgery Association annual meeting. The research is on the use of a blood test (D-dimer) to reduce the need for CT scans and thereby lower patients’ exposure to radiation.
In the News
- Teen Bitten by Shark Throws First Pitch at Padres Game, 10news.com, features Trauma patient Keane Hayes and Salil Upasani, M.D.
- California 13-Year-Old Who Survived Shark Attack Says He Can’t Wait to ‘Get Back Out There,’ goodmorningamerica.com, features Timothy Fairbanks, M.D.
- Shark Attacks Teen Diving for Lobsters off Calif. Coast, themercury.com., features Timothy Fairbanks, M.D.
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.