The Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego provides inpatient care at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego and its satellite location at Sharp Grossmont Hospital.
As hospitalists, we are solely dedicated to providing hospital-based care to children and adolescents. Because we see patients with a wide range of conditions and disorders, each of our physicians has a broad range of knowledge and expertise. We not only play an integral part in the healing process, but help to ensure the child’s overall well-being.
Our physicians also serve as the medical directors for Supportive/Palliative Care, the Helen Bernardy Center for Medically Fragile Children, HomeCare, the Center for Innovative Learning (Simulation Lab), and San Diego and Imperial counties Juvenile Hall. Additionally, we serve as a resource to all community primary care physicians who require or prefer hospital-based physician coverage for their patients. To ensure continuity of care, we keep in close communication with the family’s primary care physician during and after the child’s hospital stay.
Our services also include:
- Coordination of transports to and from hospitals throughout San Diego and Imperial Counties
- Phone consultation to community primary care physicians, specialists and emergency physicians
- Consultations on or coordination of pre-surgery patients when appropriate
Additionally, we manage the pediatric residency program at Rady Children’s, training the best and brightest pediatricians of the future.
Video: Learn about our division’s expert care
In the News
- Journal of Hospital Medicine Releases 2020 Revision to The Pediatric Hospital Medicine Core Competencies
- What Can Oliver Tell Us About COVID-19 and Kids?, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Laurie Bernard, M.D., Mark Sawyer, M.D., Char Neder and Kelsey Nagel
- Young Boy Writes ‘Thank You’ Book to Benefit Rady Children’s Hospital, features Erin Stucky Fisher, M.D.
- Childhood Obesity Linked to Severe Dental Infections, The Hospitalist, features Michelle Edmunds, M.D.
- Rady Children’s Hospital: Realistic Training That Will Save Lives, cbs8.com, features Melissa Cameron, M.D., and Charles Sauer, D.O.
- Growing Up San Diego: Safe Sleep Practices, cbs8.com, features Injury Prevention Program Manager Mary Beth Moran and Daniel Hershey, M.D.
- Safe Sleep Tips, fox5news, features Daniel Hershey, M.D.