Rady Children’s Cardiovascular/Cardiothoracic Division performs about 500 surgeries a year, exclusively for the treatment of congenital heart defects.
Complemented by leading programs in pediatric electrophysiology, interventional cardiology, prenatal/pediatric cardiac diagnostics and affiliated high-risk obstetrics, the Division provides an integrated approach to the treatment of the full spectrum of complex congenital heart problems in newborns to adults.
Our highly skilled surgeons use advanced surgical strategies and techniques – including hybrid procedures – to achieve optimal outcomes and to make the surgery as safe as possible. Areas of special concentration include:
- The surgical treatment of complex newborn heart defects, such as hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
- Complex reconstructive surgery in previously operated on children or adults.
- Integration of catheter-based therapies with surgery to reduce risk.
- Integration of advanced electrophysiologic testing, arrhythmia ablation and surgery.
- Minimally invasive and cosmetic approaches to open heart surgery, where appropriate.
- Heart transplant surgery
We also have a state-of-the-art Acute Cardiac Unit, which brings a new level of care for cardiac and cardiovascular surgery patients requiring specialized services.
Along with providing expert surgical care, we participte in evidence-based research through Rady Children’s Heart Institute. Through this research, we seek to advance the field of pediatric cardiovascular surgery.
- Successfully performed Rady Children’s first heart transplant on Jan. 14, 2015. Read more.
- Is the primary cardiovascular surgery referral program for the state of Hawaii.
- Is a high-volume program with surgical outcomes among the best in the nation.
- Participates in multiple clinical and basic research projects designed to evaluate and treat complex forms of congenital heart disease.
In the News
- Baby Makes History With Heart Transplant, Fox 5 San Diego
- 2 Twins, 2 Hearts in Two Months, U-T San Diego
- Rady Site of Second Pediatric Heart Transplant, SD News
- Child Heart Transplant a San Diego First, U-T San Diego
- 11-Year-Old Heart Transplant Patient, 1st in San Diego, Goes Home, Times of San Diego
- Rady Children’s Doctors Perform Hospital’s First Pediatric Heart Transplant, Transplant Families
- 11-Year-Old Boy Undergoes First SD Pediatric Heart Transplant, SD News
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. Be sure to select “Heart Institute” from the drop-down menu. Click here.